The WAR against Cancer begins in your Kitchen.
Implementing positive food changes to your daily diet, is first place to start either your fight to prevent Cancer or fight cancer. The importance is to choose fresh wholesome foods that aren’t packaged or processed. As they often the causative culprits and can also have the ability to feed the cancer, leaving your body unable to fight this dreaded disease. Use these tips to create an eating plan to support your body’s unique healing process and support a Healthier YOU!
Food As Your Medicine – Action Plan
1. Consume adequate calories by eating every couple of hours, protein is very important in assisting the body to recover and regenerate healthy cells. Loss of appetite is symptoms of liver cancer so just have small quantities every hour or two. You may experience nausea and abdominal pain so you won’t feel like eating; however it is important to eat to give your body every chance to fight the cancer.
2. Drink plenty of water, herbal teas especially white tea, dandelion tea, you will also find that coconut juice will aid digestion and healthy metabolism of food
3. Adequate protein intake is vital 90 – 120 grams per day; this needs to be 60% healthy nuts such as almonds, walnuts & Brazil nuts, beans, lentils, 40% fish and lean organic chicken.
4. Add flavour to your food in the way of garlic, onions and fresh herbs. These will improve the taste plus be supportive in your recovery. Chemotherapy and radiation can alter your taste buds. You can put the ingredients of garlic, onion and fresh herbs together as a marinade to meat, chicken, fish or vegetables this will help your food to taste better. An easy salad dressing is your infused Garlic oils either garlic, lemon, lime and so on.
5. Put healthy natural flavourings into your food this will not only make it taste yummy but it will also be better for you – like garlic, red capsicum, mild chilli, cumin, coriander, basil and onion. To make the meal more interesting and nutritional add to your dishes nuts such as almonds, walnuts, hazel nuts, Brazil nuts (these can be ground or shredded and seeds such as pumpkin, sesame.
6. For additional flavour and zest adding lemon or lime juice, mango will be delicious
7. Daily vegetable juicing will help to keep your mineral and phosphate levels up, it will also help with adequate intake of vitamins. Vegetables should include; carrots, spinach, broccoli and spinach, for some additional flavour including a red apple and a pear is good. Vegetable or Bone Broths are a great way to get extra nutrition into your system. They are easy to swallow and also take little effort from your body to digest therefore allowing your body to recoup energy to heal.
8. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and raw vegetables to get healthy. These natural foods have plenty of vitamins.
Major Tip – Buy Organic when possible: Buy Local and Buy Fresh
Foods to Avoid to Prevent and Overcome Cancer
- Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs): The rapidly growing industry of genetically modified crops are infiltrating our food supply at an alarming rate. More than 90% of our corn and soy are now genetically modified. This fairly new practice is the source of many debates. Experts agree that adequate testing was not done before GMO foods were added to the ingredient listing of thousands of products. In other words, no one – including the growers and manufacturers of GMO foods – knows the long-term effect they will have on human health. Look for GMO-free labels whenever possible or buy organic (which always means a product is not genetically modified).
- Microwave Popcorn: From the chemically-lined bag to the actual contents, microwave popcorn is at the center of lung cancer debates around the world. Not only are the kernels and oil likely GMO (which the manufacturer does not have to disclose) unless organic, the fumes released from artificial butter flavoring contain diacetyl, which is toxic to humans. Make your own organic popcorn the old-fashioned way – it tastes better, doesn’t release toxic fumes, and is a healthier choice for you.
- Canned Goods: Most cans are lined with a product called bisphenol-A (BPA), which has been shown to genetically alter the brain cells of rats. Many plastic goods, thermal paper, water lines, and many dental composites also contain BPA. Help protect your DNA by sticking to fresh or frozen vegetables that have no added ingredients for your family’s table! These are better for you and available year-round.
- Grilled Red Meat: While grilled food can taste delicious, scientists have discovered that preparing meats in this way – especially processed meats like hot dogs – releases a carcinogen called heterocyclic aromatic amines. When you grill red meat to the point of well-done, it changes the chemical and molecular structure of the meat. You’re better off baking, broiling, or preparing meat in a skillet than on the grill.
- Refined Sugar: The biggest cancer causing food (by far) is high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and other refined sugars. Even brown sugar is highly refined white sugar with some of the removed molasses added back in for flavor and color. Refined sugars (and foods made with them) are the source of major insulin spikes and feed the growth of cancer cells. Since the majority of the sugar supply in the U.S. is made using genetically modified (GMO) sugar beets, a healthier option is organic honey, coconut sugar, or maple sugar. Now that oncologists are using diabetes medication to fight cancer cells, there’s no doubt (finally) that those mutated cancer cells love sugar.
- Salted, Pickled, and Smoked Foods: These products typically contain preservatives, such as nitrates, which are intended to prolong shelf life. The additives used in processed foods can accumulate in your body over time. Eventually, such toxins cause damage at the cellular level and lead to diseases like cancer. When smoked foods are cooked at high temperatures, the nitrates are converted to the much more dangerous nitrites. [Note: By pickled foods we don’t mean the fermented foods you make at home.]
- Soda and Carbonated Beverages: Sodas have been at the center of the health debate for two decades as a major cancer causing food. Filled with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), dyes, and a host of other chemicals, they are very bad for every aspect of your health. They provide zero nutritional value and rob your body of the nutrients you get from other foods. Adding “diet” to the label means you’re also likely consuming aspartame – which is no better than rat poison to human cells.
- White Flour: When flour is refined, all nutritional value is removed. Then it’s bleached with chlorine gas to make it more appealing to consumers. The glycemic index for white flour is very high – meaning it spikes your insulin levels without providing nutritional fuel. Carbohydrates are converted to sugars by your body, so excessive products that contain white flour can lead to increased insulin resistance. Simple sugars (like refined carbohydrates) are the preferred fuel source for cancer.
- Farmed Fish: Commercial fish farming involves raising an incredible number of fish in a crowded environment. Commercially farmed fish are treated with antibiotics, pesticides, and other carcinogenic chemicals to try and control the bacterial, viral, and parasitic outbreaks that result from cramming so many fish in a small space. Farmed fish also don’t have as much omega-3 as wild salmon.
- Hydrogenated Oils: Vegetable oils are chemically extracted from their source, chemically treated, and more chemicals are added to change the smell and taste. They’re packed with unhealthy omega-6 fats and have been proven to alter the structure of our cell membranes.