Poached Eggs with Spinach & Ricotta Cheese
5 Reasons Breakfast Is The Most Important Meal
You probably already know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But do you know why?
In this article, I will share with you the five essential benefits of eating a healthy breakfast and show you how to make a delicious and easy breakfast of poached eggs with spinach and ricotta cheese. This simple dish is rich in calcium, B-vitamins, phosphorus, and iron, which can boost your energy and mental clarity for the day ahead. Whether you are a regular breakfast eater or not, you will love this recipe and learn why breakfast is not something you want to skip.
What is Breakfast?
Breakfast is the first meal of the day that is usually eaten after a long period of fasting during the night. The word breakfast literally means to break the fast. Different cultures and regions have different types of foods for breakfast, depending on their eating habits and preferences. However, a healthy breakfast does not consist of processed or sugary foods such as cereals, breads, jams or spreads. A healthy breakfast should include whole, fresh foods that provide essential nutrients and energy for the day. These foods are not only beneficial for breakfast, but also for maintaining balanced energy and sugar levels throughout the day by eating a diverse range of them.
Why Eating a Healthy Breakfast is Important!
Despite the rest that your body is getting in your hours of sleep, your body is still functioning as is your mind and heart and it is necessary to refuel for optimal functioning and energy. However, due to this continuous work, your glucose levels become low by the morning. Therefore, having a healthy breakfast provides your body with essential nutrients and minerals to fuel and regulate your body’s essential functions for the day’s work ahead. In addition, when you miss breakfast, your body doesn’t get the necessary nutrients, that are essential for restoring energy, brain function, emotional balance, and fatigue.
5 Reasons Breakfast Is The Most Important Meal
- Improved Immune Function: Research has found that people who eat breakfast regularly have a healthy immune response and were less likely to fall ill. Eating breakfast replenishes your energy that has been utilized during your sleeping hours.
- Supports Healthy Metabolic processes: assists with healthy weight management. Studies across the world reveal that the people who eat breakfast each morning are less likely to suffer from a weight problem.
- Improves Healthy Pancreatic Function: People including children are less vulnerable to suffer from diabetes. The pancreas is a large gland behind the stomach which secretes digestive enzymes into the duodenum. Embedded in the pancreas are the islets of Langerhans, which secrete into the blood the hormones insulin and glucagon. Eating breakfast each day supports healthy function of your pancreas supporting healthy sugar levels.
- Supports Healthy Detoxification: Eating a healthy breakfast with fresh fruit, vegetables and protein will support healthy detoxification processes, that improves immune function, improves elimination of dangerous chemicals and toxins. Important for the prevention or supporting your body to heal from disease.
- Supports Balancing Healthy Sugar Levels: Decreases cravings for sugar and junk foods.
The importance of eating a healthy diet can never be underestimated. A healthy diet provides you with the essential nutrients your body needs to maintain optimal physical and mental health, as well as prevent or reduce the risk of various chronic diseases. Some of the benefits of a healthy diet are:
- It helps to maintain a healthy weight and body mass index (BMI), which can lower your chances of developing obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers.
- It supports the health of your immune system, to fight off infections, illnesses and prevent disease.
- It is an important step to improve your mood and cognitive function, as well as reduce stress and depression.
- It helps to maintain healthy digestion, to prevent bowel cancer, relieve constipation, diarrhea, bloating, and other gastrointestinal problems.
- It helps to protect your bones, teeth, prevents osteoporosis and tooth decay.
- It enhances the health of your skin, hair, and nails. To prevent and delay the premature ageing.
An Easy Start to a Healthy Day
Poached Eggs, Spinach & Ricotta Cheese
What you need:
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- 2 pieces of wholegrain, sour dough, gluten free or wholemeal bread toasted.
If you don’t want toast, you can use the wilted spinach as a base or endive or even avocado makes a good base. Warm avocado in oven whilst poaching eggs for 5 mins
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon of Ricotta cheese
What to do:
- Boil kettle with filtered water. When boiled pour water into a skillet pan about 8 cm deep. Add vinegar.
- In a bowl put your baby spinach add boiling water then drain in a strainer after a few seconds.
- Put toast into toaster or avocado in the oven
- As water comes up to boiling crack your two eggs separately into the boiling water.
- With a wooden spoon gently splash boiling water over eggs. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes for a soft yolk or 3 to 4 minutes for firm. Using a slotted spoon, remove egg from water.
- Have toast or the base you have chosen on a plate and place the eggs onto these.
Food is your Best Line of Defence to obtain, maintain & overcome Ill-health and Disease
We have “Hippocrates” to thank for the saying – “Let Food be thy Medicine & Medicine be thy Food”
Considered to be one of the most influential figures in the history of medicine and healing, Hippocrates was ahead of his time when, around the year 400 B.C, he advised people to prevent and treat diseases first and foremost by eating a nutrient-dense diet based on Fresh, Whole foods. The foods that you eat each day play a critical role in controlling inflammation levels, balancing blood sugar, regulating cardiovascular health (including blood pressure and cholesterol levels), helping the digestive organs to process and eliminate waste, and much, much more. Did you know that certain anti-inflammatory foods even contain powerful active ingredients that help control how your genes are expressed?
Because foods influence inflammation levels, blood sugar, energy, hormones, brain, and heart health, they truly do act like medicine once consumed. A healthy diet plays a role in how genes are expressed and can have a positive effect toward preventing disease, even when a disease may appear to be hereditary.
Key Facts to Eating a Healthy Diet
- Eat a variety of foods from different food groups, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, dairy or plant-based foods such as coconut milk, yogurt, dates, and healthy fats.
- Choose whole foods over processed foods, and avoid added sugars, salt, and trans fats.
- Drink 1 to 2 litres of fresh filtered water Daily. Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum 2 standard drinks 2 – 3 x week, preferably wine or beer. Minimize caffeine consumption, only to drink black, filtered coffee, no more than two per day, preferably before 2 pm, eliminate sugary, processed soft and milk drinks.
- Eat moderate portions, animal protein only to be the size of the palm of your hand and avoid overeating or skipping meals. It is best to eat small meals.
- Plan your meals and snacks ahead of time and avoid eating out often and stop ordering takeaway precooked meals and fast foods, as these are laden with salt and sometimes sugar, also a great deal of the nutritional benefits are diminished.
- Enjoy your food and eat mindfully, without distractions or stress.
- Include one raw food meal per day, for example a healthy salad with chickpeas, a variety of greens, capsicum, nuts, onion, tomato, radish and goat’s cheese.
If you need some inspiration for healthy recipes, you can get them in either of these eBooks that I have written. Eating to Live and Transform your Health: Transform your Life with Fresh Whole Food. They have a lot of delicious and nutritious dishes that are easy to prepare and cook. I hope you find them helpful and enjoy eating a healthy diet.
Medicinal foods to include in your daily diet are a wide selection of fresh vegetables and fruits, [grass-fed lean meats & chicken breast – these are not essential and can be replaced with a selection of beans, lentils, mushrooms, tempeh, tofu, nuts and seeds], healthy fats like coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds. Sea vegetables and what are now being classed as superfoods like cocoa, papaya, spinach, kale, blueberries, broccoli, cooked tomatoes, oats, blackberries, garlic, brazil nuts, walnuts and black pepper.
Eating to Live is about learning what foods are important to include with your daily diet, they will be your Best Friend when is comes to your health. The Foods that are essential to avoid that will cause damage to your health and well-being. This eBook will teach these important facts together with easy-to-follow recipes.
An Essential Step to improving your Health and Well-being is making positive changes to your eating habits. This eBook provides you with a clear understanding of “Healthy Foods”, Menu suggestions and Easy-to-follow recipes.
ADDITIONAL STEPS TO BUILD THE LIFE YOU WANT
No matter where you are on your journey to improving your health or becoming well. If you are wanting to Learn the Keys to Master a Life of Health, Happiness and Vitality, a Roadmap that you can follow, to give you the necessary guidance and support to Build a Strong Foundation, Guiding you through making the necessary changes in order to finally learn the elements of taking charge of your Health and in turn your Life., you have come to the “Right Place”.