Enjoy Gluten Free Pikelets with Chickpea and Rice flour a Healthy choice that your “Tummy” will love. The benefits to your health when you reduce gluten or completely go gluten free include – Improved digestion, improved immune function, reduced inflammation, improved energy and reduction in mood swings. This is my easy recipe for Gluten free Pikeletts using Chickpea and Rice Flour a Healthy Choice for you and the whole family.
Pikelets make a Great Snack & Substitute for Bread
I usually double this recipe and keep them in the fridge in an air tight container. I use chickpea and rice flour as they have great benefits for your health.
Health Benefits of Chickpea Flour
- High Fibre Lowers the risk of diabetes, balances cholesterol levels, reduces hypertension, decreases risk of heart attack, stroke helping to improve metabolism, Obesity and colon cancer.
- Gluten Free the benefits of reducing gluten or going gluten free with your diet include improved digestion, improved immune function, reduced inflammation, improved energy and reduction in mood swings.
Healthy Benefits of Rice Flour
- Great source of Vitamins including – Zinc, B Vitamins, providing immune support & helps in reducing inflammation.
- High in Fibre together with almond flour and yogurt works together for healthy bones and prevention of osteoporosis.
- Promotes Healthy Liver and Digestion assists with weight management, healthy digestive processes
- Gluten Free together with your Chickpea flour supporting improved immune function, energy and reduction in mood swings.
Together with other healthy dietary and lifestyle changes, replacing wheat and gluten based flours with these will reduce your risk of cancer and associated digestive diseases.
Now for the Recipe
What you need:
¾ cup of Chickpea Flour
¾ cup of Rice Flour
½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil
1 – 2 teaspoons of honey
1 teaspoon of Organic Vanilla Essence
2 eggs beaten
2 tablespoons of Organic Plain Greek Yogurt
½ – ¾ cup of Organic Almond, Coconut or Soy Milk
Whisk together with a fork or electric blender
What to do
Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of Olive oil to a stainless steel frying pan, as oil becomes heated, slowly move oil around the pan to cover the base
Use a tablespoon to drop a spoonful at a time of mixture into the pan. When small air bubbles appear on the surface of the pikelett batter, usually after 1 ½ minutes, they should be ready to turn over, being golden colour on the base. Once turned over, cook for a further minute, then remove to a plate and cover each batch paper towel.
Continue cooking the rest of the pikelet batter until all batter has been cooked. Placing paper towel between each batch. You will need to add an extra spoon of olive oil for each batch you cook.
They make a great breakfast with berries and yogurt on top, or instead of toast with vegemite, peanut or almond paste, honey or organic jam spread.
As a savoury snack you can add avocado, poached egg, smoked salmon, chives, coriander tomato, red onion, goat’s cheese, grated carrot any other topping that you like.
These are easy to freeze transferring them in their layers from the plate or board you have put them on after cooking. Wait for them to cool then place in an airtight container and pop into the freezer. They will freeze for up to 3 months.
Mine get eaten within a few days, so I just store them in the fridge. They can be stored in fridge for up to 4 days.
When thawing, allow to thaw at room temperature and reheat in a 180 degree oven for 10 minutes. To thaw: Thaw at room temperature. Serve warm or at room temperature.