Diverticulitis is a common illness for more than 40 million People who are Suffering from it!!
As a Naturopath the role diet plays in your overall health not to mention this profound and painful illness diverticulitis is undeniable.
In other words there is no getting around it, the quality of your health is determined by the quality of your diet and the foods you are eating.
There is also a distinct correlation with lifestyle habits also
This is Probably What you have heard from your Doctors and other Allopathic Practitioners
Doctors, nutritionists and gastroenterologists consider diverticulitis to be incurable. In fact, your doctor may have told you that your diverticulitis will get worse over time. Doctors know that diverticular disease (diverticulosis and diverticulitis) is simply a disease of inflammation, which in many cases is so severe that bulges (diverticula) are beginning to rupture through the wall of the patient’s colon. I believe this inflammation in diverticular disease patients is caused by eating foods I call “Catalyst Foods” plus 7 “Trigger Foods.” Catalyst foods and trigger foods can easily be eliminated from your diet.
However for many they have been told to do these ??? Common Easy Steps
- Drink plenty of water.
- Apply a heating pad or hot water bottle.
- Consider invasive, risky procedures (-oscopies), or even removal of all or part of the colon (-ectomies), gall bladder, etc.
- Use antibiotics and other prescription meds and acid blockers.
- Maintain regular bathroom habits; avoid straining and laxatives.
- Undergo a colonoscopy, barium enema, X-rays, or scans.
- Take over-the-counter pain and acid blocking drugs.
- High fiber diet, low fiber diet, or a bland diet.
You may or may not have tried these with maybe some short term relief, but with symptoms soon to return.
What Causes Diverticulitis?
You may have been told that the cause is unknown. This being quite often as there may be many elements being the base of the cause. Not unlike any other illness or disease.
There are these underlying issues that lead to Diverticulitis:
- The Foods that you are Eating
- Any medications you have been taking, whether that be prescribed or over the counter
- Lifestyle habits such as excessive drinking of alcohol, cigarette smoking or other forms of social consumption of drugs
- Stress not learning to cope with life stresses. These have a paramount effect on both your nervous and digestive system.
This all affects your saliva, bile and digestive enzymes therefore making it difficult to impossible for you to digest even what foods you eat effectively.
This is What Appears to Happen: Diverticulitis and diverticulosis are related to stomach acid. Some other acid related disorders are GERD, heartburn, acid reflux, Crohn’s, colitis, IBD, IBS and celiac disease, to name a few. All these diseases have one thing in common: acid. Acid, in excess, damages the mucosal lining (the colon’s protective armour), which in turn causes inflammation. Inflammation in the colon (our septic tank) leads to infection which leads to attacks and flare-ups. It may also cause the weakening of the colon lining which allows diverticula (pouches) to form. Medical studies agree that these conditions are related to the amount of hydrochloric acid produced.
This is why some of these diseases are even named after their acidic origins, such as heartburn and acid reflux. Diverticulitis is one member of the acidic disease group. Here is further support and information from Positive and Health Wellness article, explaining about the facts that GERD and other stomach disorders are related to stomach acid:
So you might well say – What is Wrong with Acid?If your body is too acidic it cannot perform its functions effectively. A highly acidic body is vulnerable to disease and malfunctioning of organs and digestive processes. It is favourable to improve the function of enzyme and bile digestion as these are preferable methods of digestion. You can do this effectively by including enzyme rich foods into your daily diet. This is safer and more effective, without causing damage or having a negative effect on other organs within your body
A highly acidic body will have damaging to delicate tissues like the esophagus, throat, intestinal cilia stomach valves, and the mucosal lining of the colon.
The digestive tract is designed to tolerate minimal amounts of acid. However as a society consumption of acid forming foods, drinks and also self destructive habits have increased. This having a negative effect on your digestive processes. This being the underlying cause to digestive, bowel, kidney and other related diseases.
This over production and intake of acid presents itself in the form of heartburn, acid reflux, and/or colon inflammation and pain. As you become more acidic you may often find that it bubbles up into your throat causing a burning effect, this is also happening within your colon as well. Having a negative effect on your mucosal lining.
Hence the increase in people taking antacids with this in itself having a harmful effect on your body. Acid is the major cause of bloating, causing ulceration , burning of your throat and stomach whilst causing inflammation to your colon. This is something that no antacid or anti-inflammatory medication can or will fix.
5 Steps to Begin Healing Diverticulitis
- Improve gut flora with Highly effective probiotic, plus include prebiotic and probiotic foods such as Roasted Almonds, Goat milk kefir, Kombucha, Fermented foods such as Sauerkraut, Natural, Organic Yogurt, blueberries and miso. Just to name a few.
- Change your diet from high acid forming foods such as red meat, pastries, cakes, biscuits, processed meats and meals: Decrease alcohol, Eliminate any soft drink, lollies, chocolates. A diet high in processed sugar is a major cause associated with digestive problems, not to mention diabetes and heart disease. Include a diet high in alkalizing forming foods.
- Give up Smoking and decrease or eliminate taking of medication.
- Change Negative habits to Positive habits. This will help with coping with stress more effectively.
- Positive Friends: have a network of friends who will support you with your healthy life changes. Someone whom you will be accountable for putting these changes into place.
Remember the only way you can not get better is by not putting these steps into place. It will not happen overnight and it will take some definite work and mind changing. But it is worth it, because you are worth it.
“Optimal Health Happens by putting the Necessary Changes into Place one day at a Time!!!”
Empowering You to Optimal Health Julie Doherty