Summer is on the way and it is time to regenerate and rejuvenate your body with a fresh start for Summer. Why is detoxification an important part of caring for your health you might ask? Your body is continually being exposed to toxic substances either in the air, the food you eat, medications, cleaning products, skin and body care products.
Common signs of toxic overload in your body are unexplained weight gain, skin problems, headaches, fatigue, bloating, colds, allergy problems and generally feeling of being unwell.
The positive news is that with regular detoxing this supports your body’s detoxification process helping with the elimination of these toxic substances. People often find that once they get a handle on supporting the body’s detoxification process and the return of energy and feeling of well-being that they enjoy incorporating the methods mentioned below on a regular basis.
Detoxing by Changing the Foods you are Eating!
With the warmer weather approaching this is a relatively easy transition as the eating of salads and fruits are a great choice for healthy detoxification without feeling hungry. Detoxification isn’t necessarily about fasting, it is about eliminating the foods that contain large amounts of artificial colours, additives, preservatives, salt, sugar and really you probably shouldn’t be eating anyway, or keeping to a bare minimum. The best way to support your body’s detoxification process is with fresh vegetables, nuts, seeds, organic chicken, wild caught fish and fruit.
Foods to Avoid
It is important that to detox efficiently it is important to eliminate these foods.
- All forms of commercial sugar don’t add it to anything.
- All forms of dairy except Organic Greek Yoghurt
- Wheat, Yeast and Gluten products such as bread, biscuits, cakes, buns and rolls.
- All instant or refined coffee – Pure black coffee dripolator or plunger with no added sugar or milk and only one cup per day in the morning.
- All processed and packaged foods that have chemical additives, artificial flavours and preservatives.
- Stay away from Fast Food outlets and restaurants unless they use organic produce
- Eliminate alcohol, soft drinks and commercial juices. I would like to say forever, but during the time that you have allocated for a serious detox. You will find that after your detox that you won’t be led to including them into your life as readily as before.
Foods to Eat
There are plenty of fresh food choices that are going to help with your summer detox. And I will share with you a couple of easy recipe suggestions
- Brown or basmati rice
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (if possible, organic)
- Grains such as quinoa, amaranth, millet and buckwheat
- Legumes and beans
- Nuts and seeds (unsalted and unseasoned)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, Organic Coconut Oil
- Herbal teas such as Green tea, Dandelion tea, Peppermint, Chamomile, Lemongrass, Pomegranate. The list just goes on and on.
Filtered Water & Why it is Important!
Fresh, filtered water is a major component in supporting you with healthy detoxification and hydration. Even without the detox most of you would know that the recommended intake of water is 8 – 10 glasses per day, preferably at room temperature. Water helps with the removal of waste from your bloodstream, it prevents you from becoming dehydrated which leads to kidney problems, trouble thinking. Water helps boost your metabolism and adding lemon to it helps with alkalizing your blood stream which is important as a protection against disease. Lemon is also a great source of vitamin C.
Exercise & the Importance to Detoxing
By including 30 minutes of exercise each day this will help mobilize your lymphatic system, helping with the elimination of waste products as well as boosting your immune system. Exercise can be as simple as a 30-minute brisk walk once again, mowing your lawns, going for a swim, vacuuming the house. If you would like the company of other people you might like to join a yoga, Pilates or Dance class. Meditation is not exactly classed as exercise but is helpful for detoxing the mind from negative or harmful thoughts. Focusing on deep breathing during meditation helps improve your heart and lungs. It is no more beneficial for you to overload your body with harsh or extreme exercise; however, it needs to something each day for supporting healthy detoxification, muscle tone and a healthy heart.
Bathing and Skin Brushing for Detoxification
Skin brushing – your skin is your largest organ of elimination for toxic substances. By simply brushing the skin with a dry brush, it helps stimulate both lymphatic circulation and blood flow, and remove dead skin cells, encouraging new cellular regeneration. Always brush toward your heart as this is important when it comes to the flow of your lymphatic fluid.
Baths – in our fast world of daily showers often the importance of a bath is not a consideration. Bathing is a great way to not only detox, but to relax and unwind at the end of a long day or to begin a new day. Add a cup of Magnesium flakes, a tablespoon of coconut oil and a few drops of your favourite essential oil/s.
Make Detoxing a Part of Your Everyday Life
As you can see once you begin to put these simple, yet effective detox strategies into place, it won’t be difficult to keep them as part of a regular weekly routine. And don’t forget the children, this will assist in keeping them healthy and free from ill-health and disease.