Healthy Food is the Foundation for a Healthy Life
Healthy eating is a must for Healthy breastfeeding building a solid health foundation for your newborn and for you Mum.
To give your baby the best start in life begins by implementing healthy eating habits. This is also very important for both you and your baby before you even conceive.
If you are looking for personal one on one help and support to implement or change your eating habits, you can book an online consultation.
Whether you are pregnant or not, eating a healthy well balanced diet of fresh foods is important. During pregnancy and breastfeeding extra demands are place on your body as to supply the baby with nutritional needs so as to develop into a wonderful, healthy little human being.
Foods to include each Day
Looking at bread, pasta and rice – it is important for these to be preferably spelt, or gluten free. Rice to be wild rice or brown rice. These can take up 5 – 10% of your daily diet.
Fruit & Vegetables – Key vitamins supplied by fruits and vegetables include:
- Beta carotene for your baby’s cell and tissue development, vision, and immune system
- Vitamin C for your baby’s bones and teeth as well as the collagen in your baby’s connective tissue
- Potassium to regulate blood pressure
- Folic acid to help prevent neural tube defects and promote a healthy birth weight
- Vegetables need to make up the larger portion of your daily diet being that of 75%. 4 – 5 different vegetables per day. These can be either cooked such as steamed or baked or eaten raw. These vegetables include: Sweet potato, pumpkin, parsnips, carrots, celery, mushrooms, avocado, cauliflower, capsicum, radishes, broccoli, kale, spinach, peas, beans etc.
- Fruit – 2 – 3 pieces of fruit or 1 – 2 cups of fruit should be eaten each day. The reason for putting cups is that in case you decide to dice your fruit and also in the case of berries. Best fruits are red apples, bananas, kiwi fruit, mangoes, pineapple, red grapes, watermelon and berries.
- Great Foods for Calcium: Organic whole yogurt, goats cheese, almond milk, almonds, figs, broccoli, edamame, tofu, okra, canned salmon, sardines, kale and other green vegetables.
- Protein: 3 portions per day. [Animal protein, portion size to be the size of the palm of your hand]: Lean meat, organic chicken, fish, eggs, legumes, lentils, tofu, quinoa, green peas, beans, chick peas and green vegetables. [Special Note]: If you are vegetarian or vegan then include the 2 – 3 serves same portion size as animal protein, of quinoa, nuts such as roasted almonds, walnuts, oats, wild rice, tofu beans and so on in addition to your vegetable intake for the day.
- Iron: Adequate iron intake is important at any time, however you don’t need a great deal to be healthy. Best non animal sources are Nori/seaweed this can be eaten as a snack you could include this as a snack with your roasted almonds, grated ginger 1 – 2 teaspoons per day add to your herbal tea or salad dressing. Sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds, add one to two tablespoons to a roast vegetable or fresh salad.
- Iodine: Has been found that it may boost children’s IQ. Foods rich in iodine: prawns, canned tuna, organic baked potatoes, turkey breast (also has selenium, cancer prevention benefits), strawberries, Nori/seaweed.
- Folate: Folate is Vitamin B9 (aka: folate, folicin, folic-acid). It is a water-soluble B vitamin that is easily found in the fresh food. Folic acid is the synthetic form of vitamin B9 found in fortified foods and supplements. As with most vitamins, the natural form of vitamin B9 (folate) is preferred, and better for absorption. Here I have for you the best food sources for folate: black eyed beans, chick peas, lima beans, mung beans, lentils, spinach, asparagus, cos or romaine lettuce, avocado broccoli, oranges and mangoes. As you will see by eating a diet high in plant produce such as vegetables and fruit it is not difficult to get not just adequate nutrition, but exceptional nutrition. One to two of these foods per day to get your daily intake of folate.
- Water: Drinking 2 – 2 1/2 litres of water per day, has many benefits firstly it assists in cleansing of your body, transport of essential nutrients and vitamins to your organs and tissues. It is also essential for healthy glowing skin along with your daily intake of fresh fruit and vegetables.
As you will notice that there is not mention of fast foods, processed or packaged foods, lollies, soft drinks, processed meats, bought cakes, chips, poor quality chocolate, processed fruit juices or alcohol. The reason being that these foods don’t qualify in any shape or form of a healthy diet and should be avoided at all costs especially during pregnancy and breast feeding.
If you indulge in negative habits in any shape or form, get them out of your life, not just for the duration of your pregnancy but that of your life. Because they will rob both you and your baby of a healthy, happy and vital life together. Here is a link to my E-Book: “Why can’t I give up Smoking?” This will help guide you through the understanding of why you have become a victim maybe not just to smoking but other negative habits, whilst supporting you through the changes to GIVE UP!!!
Food Hygiene and freshness is of Optimal significance to prevent food poisoning. Take simple hygiene steps at home in food preparation. Always to use clean cutting boards and utensils, have clean bench tops and cooking utensils, be careful where you eat out, to eat out at places that you know or have heard that are good with ultimate hygiene standards. Always great if you can see in their kitchen.
Avoid supermarkets for purchasing of Fresh Food items: Supermarkets don’t specialize in obtaining the freshest foods even though some may say they do. You will find your local butcher, fish market, green grocer are the best when it comes to buying fresh, whole food.
Best Fish to eat is Wild Caught -Choose from – Atlantic Salmon, Sea Perch, Blue Fin Tuna, Orange Ruffy, Oysters and Mackerel. Wild caught Tinned tuna and salmon preferably in Spring water or Olive oil.
Healthy Eating Beyond Pregnancy is Vital for the Whole Family
Optimal Health includes Eliminating Negative Habits. Both for you and your developing Baby’s Health Download your Copy Today!
Learn Simple, Effective ways to Care for YOU! In the eBook – Optimal Health the Key to Ageless Ageing. Download your Copy