Baked Tomato & Basil Soup: Yummy & Good for You!
Enjoy this Yummy Soup with the Health Benefits of Basil and Tomato. Basil is a very much underestimated herb, yet one of my favourite because it has such great taste. Not to mention the benefits to your Health. I share with you in this Article the Health Benefits of Basil and Tomato with the Yummy Soup recipe the Whole Family will Enjoy!
- DNA Protection Plus Anti-Bacterial Properties: offering protection against unwanted bacterial growth
- The enzyme-inhibiting effect of eugenol (component of basil’s volatile oils) in basil qualifies basil as an “anti-inflammatory” food. Providing important healing benefits along with symptomatic relief for many suffering with inflammatory health problems like rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel conditions.
- Basil is also a good source of magnesium, which promotes cardiovascular health by prompting muscles and blood vessels to relax, thus improving blood flow and lessening the risk of irregular heart rhythms or a spasming of the heart muscle or a blood vessel.
- Due to the high content of Beta Carotene that is then converted to Vitamin A. Beta Carotene being a more powerful antioxidant than when converted to Vitamin A. Basil offers protection from Free radical damage. This being a contributing factor in many conditions such as: asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. The beta-carotene found in basil may help to halt the progression of these conditions while protecting cells from further damage. These nutrients being of necessity also for maintaining cardiac health.
Tomatoes are well known for being a good source of lycopene, the phytochemical responsible for making them red, this also has significant antioxidant properties. The latest research shows that the cooking of tomatoes increases their antioxidant effects.
The antioxidant properties that are found in fruit and vegetables are known to significantly reduce the risk of Chronic Disease. A diet high in antioxidants is being found to reduce the risk of many diseases (including heart disease and certain cancers). Antioxidants scavenge free radicals from the body cells and prevent or reduce the damage caused by oxidation. The protective effect of antioxidants continues to be studied around the world.
Baked Tomato & Basil Soup
What you need:
- 5 – 6 Cloves of Garlic remove skin & either crushed or diced
- 1 large brown onion peeled diced
- 1 kg Ripened tomatoes, cut into half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – 2 cups of Fresh Basil leaves
- 1/3 cup of tomato paste
- 1 litre of Massel either Chicken or Vegetable Liquid stock
- Warm sour dough bread to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line a tray with baking paper. Place tomatoes (skin side down). Spread crushed garlic over tomatoes. Drizzle half the oil over tomatoes. Season with pepper. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove tray from oven, put aside until cooled down.
- Add remaining oil to a large saucepan. Over a medium heat, add onion stirring for 3 minutes or until golden, slowly stir in tomato paste and stock. Keep stirring until all blended. Allow to come to boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer for a further 15 minutes whilst blending your baked tomatoes.
- Blend your baked tomatoes, garlic and add basil (save a few leaves for decoration) into the saucepan now. Slowly bring heat back up to boiling, then turn off heat.
- Serve into soup bowls, adding decorative leaves of basil. For extra flavour you can also add a tablespoon of Greek Plain Yogurt. Serve Sough Dough Bread on the side or have on table for people to help themselves.
Learn more about the Foods to Eat & Why with Easy to Follow Recipes in my eBook: “Eating to Live”
ADDITIONAL STEPS TO BUILD THE LIFE YOU WANT
Become a Community Member – A Great Place to Start Mastering your Health & your Life
Master a Life of Optimal Health, Happiness & Vitality is in essence is about providing you with a trusted and guided path to support you with understanding the concepts and changes necessary for taking charge of your health and ultimately your life. By Becoming a Community Member this is a Great Way to Get Started!