Achieving Optimal Health can be as Easy as “Taking Charge” of your Lifestyle Daily Eating Habits!!!” I am not talking about “fad” diets, there is nothing better for improving your chances for longevity and prevention of disease than implementing changes to increase plant-based foods [also known as Alkaline Diet] such as vegetables, nuts, seeds and fruit that have an alkaline effect on your body’s systems.
It has been discovered by many Health Professionals that Disease is unable to manifest itself in an Alkaline Body.
By having a diet that is high in alkaline forming foods this will decrease your Risk of Disease Related Conditions such as heart failure, heart attacks, kidney stones, diverticulitis, arteriosclerosis, arthritis, diabetes & cancer. Let’s take a closer look at Nutrition, helping you to become more mindful about the foods you eat and why!
By becoming mindful about the foods you eat, how and when you eat them. Food becomes more than just something you use to overcome hunger.
It becomes your Best Friend by fueling your body with the right nutrients to become and stay well. You will then be able to look forward to a much more positive outlook to Aging. Keeping your body in a Higher Alkalize state you will improve your PH levels, in doing this you then make it basically impossible for disease to take control. Allow your Body to Heal and Regenerate on a Daily Basis.
Easy Steps to Implement an Alkaline way of Eating for a Healthier YOU!
- Proper fat metabolism and weight control – when the body is in its natural alkaline state, body weight and insulin production normalize. Alkalizing the body works so well at dropping excess weight that many people lose weight just by eating more alkaline foods and adding alkalizing supplements to the diet.
- Proper calcium utilization – the body will do ANYTHING to maintain a balanced pH, including leach important minerals like calcium, potassium and sodium from the tissues. To maintain alkalinity, the body first goes for sodium, then potassium, and then calcium. It literally leaches the calcium from your bones, making your bones porous and fragile. This is a major contributor to both osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Appropriate cholesterol levels balancing your pH help to maintain proper cholesterol levels so that plaque does not form.
- Prevent cancer developing – cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment, and perish in an alkaline one. Cancer cells simply cannot survive in an alkaline environment!
- Proper electrolyte activity and efficient heart function – Proper electrolyte activity is crucial to balanced energy levels.
- Smooth blood flow – alkalizing helps to remove plaque from the arteries, veins, and heart tissue.
- Healthy oxygen flow – alkalizing the bloodstream flushes toxins from tissues and prevents against premature aging.
Excess acidity occurs within the body due to an over consumption acid-forming foods and not enough alkalizing foods.
Some signs or symptoms you may be suffering from over acidity:
Pain, muscle soreness or stiffness, skin problems, indigestion, reflux, lethargy, anxious, headaches, sinus problems, elevated blood pressure, stomach cramps or pain just to name a few.
#Easy to Follow List of Acid/Alkaline Forming Foods
I want you to keep in mind that just because it is a acid forming food that it is not necessarily unhealthy of course unless it is highly processed and laden with chemicals, it is just that we need to keep the acid forming foods as a small portion of our diet say 20% if we are reducing acidity and 30 % if we are maintaining a healthy balance. Many of our acid forming foods are vital for optimal health, it is a matter of balance of becoming mindful of what we eat and when. The majority acid forming foods are better for us if eaten between morning and mid afternoon, whereas it is beneficial if the majority of your alkaline foods are eaten mid afternoon to evening. The reason for this is that your body will repair more efficiently when in an alkaline state and evening is when you are looking to retire and go to sleep. Improving your daily eating by incorporating these foods correctly is the beginning of helping your body to function optimally for you.
Here is the chart for you that you will find quite interesting as possibly what you may have thought were acid foods as such or alkaline foods is quite different to their effect within our body.
#Acid-Forming Foods (These can form 20 – 20% of Your Daily Eating Plan)
- All meat (beef, pork, lamb, and chicken) and fish
- Rice (white, brown, or basmati)
- Cornmeal, oats, rye, spelt, wheat, bran
- Breads and most other grain products, such as cereals (hot or cold), crackers, and pastries
- The following beans (unless sprouted, in which case they become alkaline-producing): pinto, navy, mung, lentils, black, garbanzo, red, white, adzuki, and broad
- Cheese (Parmesan and sharper cheeses are the worst)
- Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Wheat germ
- The following nuts: walnuts, pecans, cashews, dried coconut (fresh coconut is alkaline-producing), pistachios, macadamias, filberts, Brazil nuts, and peanuts
- Soft Drinks
- Alcoholic drinks
- Coffee and other caffeinated drinks
- Sweetened yogurt
- Most forms of sweeteners (artificial sweeteners, cane sugar, beet sugar, barley syrup, processed honey, maple syrup, molasses, fructose, lactose)
- Refined table salt
- Dairy especially milk and hard cheeses are mostly acid forming
- Soy sauce
- Mustard (dried powder and processed)
- Ketchup (unless natural and homemade)
- Mayonnaise (unless natural and homemade)
- White vinegar (apple cider and sweet brown rice vinegar are less acid-producing and preferred)
- Practically all drugs
#Alkalizing Foods (These are to form 70% – 80% of your Daily Eating Plan)
- Practically all vegetables
- Practically all fruits, except blueberries, plums, prunes, and cranberries. Even citrus fruits such as lemons, which we think of as being acidic, are alkaline-producing in the body. They are rich in organic salts, like citrates, which are converted into bicarbonates.
- Beans such as string, soy, lima, green, and snap
- Sweet Potatoes
- Arrowroot flour
- Grains such as flax, millet, quinoa, and amaranth
- Nuts like almonds, pignoli, fresh coconut, and chestnuts
- Sprouted seeds of alfalfa, radish, and chia
- Unsprouted sesame
- Fresh unsalted butter
- Almond Milk
- Raw Goat’s milk is slightly alkaline forming
- Cottage Cheese
- Plain yogurt
- Sweeteners like raw, unpasteurized honey, dried sugar cane juice (Sucanat), brown rice syrup
- Fruit juices
- All vegetable juices
- Most herbal teas
- Cayenne pepper
- Most herbs
- Most vegetable and unprocessed sea salt
- Most all spices
- Vanilla extract
- Brewer’s yeast
- Most unprocessed, cold-pressed oils are neutral or alkaline-forming. (Even margarine seems to be neutral, but I don’t recommend this “liquid plastic.”)
Weekly Sample Menu Plan:
First thing in the morning have one lemon squeezed in warm water, then:
#Mixed Berry Smoothie – ½ – 1 cup of berries, 1/2 cup Kale, 1 banana, rind of one lemon (full of bioflavonoids antioxidant properties), ½ – 1 cup of Paris Creek or Greek yoghurt
Other fruit you can include: rock melon, pineapple, apple or banana, You can include a tablespoon of LSA for extra fibre
½ cup of Almond milk
A Refreshing inclusion can be fresh mint
Poached Eggs or Scrambled Eggs: with 1/2 – 1 cup of Spinach, 1 tomato, 1/2 cup mushrooms and some sliced onion on either spelt or gluten free bread
#Roast Vegies or Salad & Protein Stir fry some of your favourite vegetables—such as chopped Spanish onion, pumpkin cook your pumpkin longer than any of your greens, broccoli, zucchini these only need to be heated through,—drizzled with a good quality olive oil; make some whole meal couscous Combine these with a small tin of chickpeas and a handful of pine nuts.
In addition to the vegies, this meal gives you a serve of Complex carbs, these are your healthy carbs: such as whole grains, vegetables and nuts, a serve of protein and a serve of ‘good’ fats . Avoid Refined Carbohydrates these are the dangerous carbs that you are not meant to eat.
Changes to your lunch may include a fresh dark leafy green salad with some chicken cooked the night before, or some salmon or other fish, other beans that are delicious are butter beans. Preparing your lunch the night before I have found to be the easiest, by say cooking some extra food at tea time. Sometimes I cook up enough Couscous for the week and just add different things to eat. As alternatives I also have wild rice, quinoa and brown rice.
# One serve of protein (portion size of protein-size of the palm of your hand) Non vegetarian choices includes: a portion of lean red meat : duck, kangaroo, pork, scallops, squid, turkey, veal, muscles, oysters, fish, or lean chicken breast. Vegetarian suggestions are 1 cup of Quinoa or Buckwheat, Goats curd, 2 tablespoons Chia, 1/2 cup of firm tofu. Serving these with at least four vegetables such as sweet potato, cauliflower, pumpkin, broccoli, kale, spinach, carrots, peas, cabbage etc.
Snacks during the day: can include non sweetened yogurt with fruit, 1 handful of roasted almonds you can include pumpkin and or sesame seeds. If you haven’t had a smoothie for breakfast then you may like to have an apple, banana or some other fruit during the day. Fruit is great to have between meals as this is better for your digestion.
Last thing at night either have a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar or Swedish bitters or a teaspoon of Bi Carb in a glass of tepid water prior to bed.
Exercise is Great for Supporting Healthy Acid/Alkaline Balance – Especially getting out in the fresh air amongst the trees everyday for at least half an hour per day.
Breathe deep from the belly up whilst you are exercising and drink at least 8 glasses or 2 – 3 600ml bottles of filtered water per day.