6 Tips for Healthy Nails: Strong Indicator of the Level of your Health
Your fingernails are a strong indicator as to the level of your Health. Nice clear pink skin under your nails indicates not just a Healthy nail but a Healthy You! If you have ever gone to hospital for an operation they will remove any nail polish and the reason for this is that there are many signs that will show up in your nails and with your skin under the nails that will signify any systemic health problems.
In this article you will learn the Harmful Signs, What causes damage and How to Keep Healthy, Strong Nails.
Finger Nails are your Weather Barometer to your Level of Health
You can use your fingernails a little like a weather barometer. By paying attention to anything that has suddenly occurred that is different on or around your fingernails or toenails may be a vital key to managing your health.
Your fingernails are superimposed and bonded together with layers of a protein called keratin: Growing from the base of the nail under what is known as the cuticle. Healthy fingernails are smooth, without pits or grooves. There colour is consistent under the nail bed being a pinkish colour as your skin and the growth of the nail past this white. Free of spots of any other discolouration.
Sometimes fingernails develop harmless vertical ridges that run from the cuticle to the tip of the nail. Vertical ridges tend to become more prominent with age. Fingernails can also develop white lines or spots due to injury, but these eventually grow out with the nail.
However, not all changes in the nail are harmless and will need for you to see a Health Professional that can will be able to read these indications, explaining them to you and provide support and guidance as in becoming well again.
8 Harmful Signs to Look for –
- Changes in nail color, such as discoloration of the entire nail or a dark streak under the nail
- Changes in nail shape, such as curled nails
- Thinning or thickening of the nails
- Separation of the nail from the surrounding skin
- Bleeding around the nails
- Swelling or pain around the nails
- Any ridges or colouring that has lasted longer than 3 months.
- Excessive hardness of the nails
6 Causes of Decline in Your Nail Condition
- False or acrylic nails
- Use of nail polish on a regular basis
- Stress your fingernails and toenails are closely related to hair. Therefore as your hair might well become thin, change texture or fall out after an illness, prolonged stress, some medical treatments or operations. These events are likely to also have a detrimental affect on your nails as well.
- Medications as many medications may have a detrimental effect on other areas of your body, they may well affect your nail integrity as well. Also they may deplete your body of the necessary vitamins needed for healthy nails.
- Illness such as arthritis, melanomas, psoriasis and other skin conditions may well effect the integrity and cause changes to the nail. These can often be harmless but it won’t hurt to follow up and to see what you can do nutritionally to improve the problem. With these conditions including alkalizing forming foods is very helpful.
- Toenails can often incur problems due to not being able to breathe, being in say work boots with thick socks for most of the time. The secret here is give your feet including your nails a good scrub at least once a week with a nail brush this improves the circulation and helps to prevent these problems. Also follow a diet high in fresh fruit and vegetables as this helps to prevent any infections.
Prevention and Long Term Care
Your nails as your skin are the final organ that will show up with what is going on inside of you. So it is vitally important here to work at preventing as much as possible health problems from the inside out. Whilst also looking after your nails as you would your hair.
6 Tips for Healthy Nails and Hair
- Keep fingernails dry and clean: This prevents bacteria from growing under your fingernails. Repeated or prolonged contact with water can contribute to split fingernails. Wear cotton-lined rubber gloves when washing dishes, cleaning or using harsh chemicals.
- Regular Nail Hygiene: Use a sharp manicure scissors or clippers. Trim your nails straight across, then round the tips in a gentle curve.
- Moisturize your nails: When you use hand lotion, rub the lotion into your fingernails and cuticles, too. If your nails are dry because of your work each night before bedtime massage either some paw /paw ointment or coconut oil into them.
- NEVER:NEVER: have false nails, these are a real killer to your nails also giving you no indication of your overall health.
- Minimize: The use of nail polish and nail polish remover. This strips the nails of its natural oils as well as not allowing your nails to breathe. Instead of nail polish, it is best to buff and polish your nails with a nail buffer. It looks great and it healthy for you nails as it stimulates the circulation. You can do this for both your finger nails and your toe nails.
- Nutrition: Biotin rich foods these are foods high in vitamin B: such as almonds, carrots, grains, green leafy vegetables, broccoli, sweet potato, shell fish, liver, eggs and avocado: Calcium rich foods such as ricotta and cottage cheese: yogurt – once again seeds and nuts as well as green leafy vegetables: Vitamin C rich foods such as kiwi fruit, strawberries, blue berries, citrus fruits and of course your vegetables especially dark green vegetables when they are not cooked.
#Always Remember Food is your Best Medicine for Optimal Health, Happiness & Vitality#
Learn more about the Foods to Eat and Why with Easy to Follow Recipes in my eBook: Eating to Live
True Beauty Begins from the Inside/Out Learn how in my eBook: Optimal Health the Key to Ageless Ageing
ADDITIONAL STEPS TO BUILD THE LIFE YOU WANT
Become a Community Member – A Great Place to Start Mastering your Health & your Life
Master a Life of Optimal Health, Happiness & Vitality is in essence is about providing you with a trusted and guided path to support you with understanding the concepts and changes necessary for taking charge of your health and ultimately your life. By Becoming a Community Member this is a Great Way to Get Started!