11 Steps to Overcome Migraines “Naturally”
Understanding the Underlying Causes
It’s important to learn the steps to overcome Migraines Naturally as they are Debilitating, Scary and just Downright Horrible – As Many of You have told me that YOU just Don’t Want to Keep Taking Medication. There are steps that you use to Overcome Migraines “Naturally”, so as to avoid the harmful side effects of medication, improve mind an brain function whilst becoming Migraine Free!
Understand the Underlying Cause
It is always Important to Find Out the Underlying Cause: This will help to prevent future re-occurrence of migraines.
In this article I share with You – Strategies that have helped my clients, either totally eliminating their migraines or decreasing them to where they can’t remember the last time they had a migraine.
As you know medication is a proven way to treat – and prevent – migraines. But this is not necessarily true, for many people their migraines just become more frequent and painful.
As with any form of ill-health there is always an underlying cause, so in this article you will be learning the steps for you to put into place when suffering from a migraine.
Migraines are a very serious health warning and should always be taken seriously, not just brushed off. “Oh I am a Migraine sufferer”. As if it part of you that you have no control over.
By finding the underlying cause of your migraines, making lifestyle changes may well seeing your migraines as a thing of the past.
What to do when you have a Migraine – Seek a calm environment
At the first sign of a migraine, retreat from your usual activities if possible.
- Turn out the lights. Migraines often increase sensitivity to light and sound. Relax in a dark, quiet room. Sleep if you can.
- Try temperature therapy. Apply hot or cold compresses to your head or neck. Ice packs have a numbing effect, which may dull the sensation of pain. Hot packs and heating pads can relax tense muscles. Warm showers or baths may have a similar effect.
- Massage painful areas. Apply gentle pressure to your scalp or temples. Alleviate muscle tension with a shoulder or neck massage. If you engage in having regular massage treatments with a Professional Massage therapist this has been known to help prevent migraines.
- Drink a caffeinated beverage. In small amounts, caffeine can enhance the pain-reducing effects of acetaminophen and aspirin. Be careful, however. Drinking too much caffeine too often can lead to withdrawal headaches later on.
- Sleep well – Migraines may keep you from falling asleep or wake you up at night. Likewise, migraines are often triggered by a poor night’s sleep. Here’s help encouraging sound sleep.
- Establish regular sleep hours. Wake up and go to bed at the same time every day – even on weekends. If you nap during the day, keep it short. Naps longer than one hour may interfere with night-time sleep.
- Unwind at the end of the day. Anything that helps you relax can promote better sleep. Listen to soothing music, soak in a warm bath or read a favourite book. But watch what you eat and drink before bedtime. Heavy meals, caffeine, nicotine and alcohol can interfere with sleep.
- Minimize distractions. Save your bedroom for sleep and intimacy. Don’t watch television or take work materials to bed. Close your bedroom door. Use a fan to muffle distracting noises.
- Remove Negative Habits: Habits that are harmful to you such as smoking, taking of social drugs, drinking excessive alcohol, even sometimes not necessarily drinking alcohol in excess will be a contributing factor to migraines due to the preservatives used.
- Don’t try to sleep. When you are actually suffering the migraine, the harder you try to sleep, the more difficulty you will have. If you can’t fall asleep, do some simple relaxation such as breathing deep, letting your thoughts, just flow.
- Check your medications. Medications that contain caffeine or other stimulants – including some medications to treat migraines – may interfere with sleep. Your eating habits can influence your migraine
Changing the Food you Eat
By becoming aware of the foods you eat and how certain foods may affect you. When you eat and what may be consistent in bringing on a migraine may well assist in keeping these to a minimum.
- Be consistent. Eat at about the same time every day.
- Don’t skip meals. Breakfast is especially important.
- Eat Fresh have a diet with 75% Fruit and Vegetables
- Protein have good quality protein such as lean meat, chicken fillets and fish (Preferably organic when possible and from a good quality butcher for meats and Fish shop
- Foods that may trigger migraines. If you suspect that a certain food – such as aged cheese, wine, msg, additives or preservatives – is triggering your migraines, eliminate it from your diet to see what happens. Eliminate if not entirely the majority of processed foods this includes anything that is in a packet or a tin, the other important food to eliminate is processed meats such as ham, processed chicken, salami, metwurst and so on.
- Drink Water – water is an essential part of our daily activity plan it flushes out the toxins in our body, it also is the carrier for essential nutrients to the brain therefore plays a vital role in the prevention of headaches/migraines
- Stress: Learning to acknowledge and cope – Stress and migraines often go hand in hand. You can’t avoid daily stress, but you can keep it under control – which can help you prevent migraines.
- Exercise regularly during physical activity, your body releases certain chemicals that block pain signals to your brain. These chemicals also help alleviate anxiety and depression – conditions that can make migraines worse. If your doctor agrees, choose any exercise you enjoy. Walking, swimming and cycling are often good choices. But it’s important to start slowly. Exercising too vigorously can trigger migraines.
- Simplify your life. Rather than looking for ways to squeeze more activities or chores into the day, find a way to leave some things out.
- Manage your time wisely. Update your to-do list every day – both at work and at home. Delegate what you can, and break large projects into manageable chunks.
- Take a break. If you feel overwhelmed, a few slow stretches or a quick walk may renew your energy for the task at hand.
- Change your Attitude. By staying positive – If you find yourself thinking, “This can’t be done,” switch gears. Think instead, “This will be tough. But I can make it work.”
- Let go. Don’t worry about things you can’t control.
- Relax. Deep breathing from your diaphragm can help you relax. Try to do 20 minutes of deep breathing every day. It may also help to consciously relax your muscles, one group at a time. When you’re done, sit quietly for a minute or two.
- Keep a migraine diary Living with migraines is a daily challenge. But making healthy lifestyle choices can help. Ask your friends and loved ones for support. If you’re feeling anxious or depressed, consider joining a support group or seeking counselling. Believe in your ability to take control of the pain. A diary may help you determine what triggers your migraines. Note when your migraines start, what you were doing at the time, how long they last and what, if anything, provides relief. Eventually you may be able to prevent migraines by changing patterns in your daily life.
- If migraines persist on a regular basis that is daily, weekly, even monthly it will pay for you to have a health check and go through other possible causes.
Take time out to Enjoy Life & Regenerate
Aim for Balance
Read Next: How Not to Let Stress get the Better of You
Stress being a Major contributor to Headaches and Migraines.
Resources and Further Support
- Headache Hope through
- Research Chronic Migraines: Smith JH. Preventive treatment of migraine in adults
ADDITIONAL STEPS TO BUILD THE LIFE YOU WANT
Join my Free Community Membership – A Great Place to Start Mastering your Health & your Life
Master a Life of Optimal Health, Happiness & Vitality is in essence about is about providing you with a trusted and guided path to support you with understanding the concepts and changes necessary for taking charge of your health and ultimately your life. By Becoming a Community Member this is a Great Way to Get Started!
No matter where you are on your journey to improving your health or becoming well. If you are wanting to Learn the Keys to Master a Life of Health, Happiness and Vitality, a Roadmap that you can follow, to give you the necessary guidance and support to Build a Strong Foundation, Guiding you through making the necessary changes in order to finally learn the elements of taking charge of your Health and in turn your Life., you have come to the “Right Place”.
Three Membership Options Available for You –
1: Community Membership – Stepping your foot into the ocean of learning about your body and your health.
2: Founding Membership – You want to know more? This takes you to the next level of learning more -Serious Insights into Unlocking the Keys necessary: To Master a Life of Optimal Health, Happiness & Vitality.
3: Transformational Membership – is the “All Access Pass” As soon as you activate your membership, the whole site and all benefits unlock immediately. It is the “Transformational Building Block” necessary for making positive changes to every aspect of your life. Giving you the guidance and support to achieve the life you want, your dreams and inspirations. It also is about making health a natural part of your daily living. Not to be a chore or a challenge but to become a “Natural” way of Living.