10 Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget
Eating Healthy does not have to be expensive, learn how you can Eat Healthy on a Budget in this article.
The good news is by following the 10 tips in this article, you will have a plan to follow that will get you on the right track for Eating Healthier and not breaking the Budget. You will also find buying fresh, whole foods that are in season far less expensive and you will also be saving on medications, doctors/hospital bills and loss of work. By changing your eating habits you will have more energy, sleep better and prevent diseases such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease and cancer.
10 Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget
1. Buy in Bulk: So buy fruit and vegetables by the bag or as a whole for example a full pumpkin. However still check your prices because an example of this I have found with onions they are usually cheaper by the kilo loose than they are in a bag. So always check your prices.
2. Buy in Season: Fruit and vegetables bought in season and local are usually less expensive.
3. Choose Fresh over Prepacked: Prepacked is generally more expensive as there is more expensive in bringing the product to the convenience store that you are purchasing it from.
4. Organic or Non – Organic: The introduction of organic fruits and vegetables has been a slow process. These can often be quite expensive fruits and vegetables that stand up quite well against the pesticides used and are least affected by commercial farming include:
- Sweet peas
- Rock melon
- Sweet corn
- Sweet potatoes
Keep your Organic Purchases for these products:
- Bell peppers
- Animal products
5. Plan Ahead: Either at the beginning of the week or at the end of the week. Put together a menu for the week ahead and then your shopping list to match.
6. Store Your Food for Safety and the Best Longevity in remaining fresh: This saves money as there is nothing worse than having to throw food out. Freeze immediately your meat, fish or chicken. Also any left over meals put into airtight containers and freeze these can make easy meals for the nights you want off or a lunches to take to work.
How to keep your Food Fresh Longer
- Store vegetables like pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes, garlic, and onions in a dark, cool place. Pantry or cupboard that remains cool.
- Bananas will last longer by wrapping the top of the bunch in plastic wrap.
- Peel bananas when ripe and freeze them so that they keep longer. Freezing vegetables and fruits in general is a great way to preserve them.
- Make broths and stocks in bulk then freeze into cubes for later use.
- Keep delicate greens like kale, spinach, parsley, coriander, tomatoes, capsicum, lettuces and celery in a bag or container in the fridge until it’s time to wash and eat them. Otherwise these will go off pretty quickly. If they start to get limp, you can actually bring some crispiness back to them by washing them with really cold water!
- Save citrus peels and dry them out for herbal teas!
- Save the bottoms of celery and lettuces then soak in water to regrow them in your own garden.
When washing your vegetables if they are not organic half fill your kitchen sink with cold water and one cup of white vinegar. Wash fruit and vegetables in this mix before eating or cooking.
7. Meals that save you money: These include stir fries, pasta sauces (home made), vegetable bakes, meal platters. By having your meal 80% vegetables and 20% animal or fish protein will cut down your food bill enormously as animal protein is very expensive. Slice your meat finely, cook lightly this can be added to even a salad mix. Lean mince such as chicken or turkey mince makes a great bolognaise base or even a meatloaf base. You can also use fish cutlets mash these and use for patties including mashed sweet potato to extend the mix.
8. Avoid these purchases: Soft drink, Fruit juice, packaged biscuits, cakes, lollies, tinned foods and chips. These will add great expense to your food bill, plus they are not REAL Food and will only break the bank not to mention your health.
9. Farmers Markets: Often these can be less expensive, especially if you are there toward the end of the day when they are selling off their final purchases. This is a great way to save money as there is nothing wrong with the food, just that they don’t want to take it back with them.
10. Avoid Supplements and Commercially Branded Vitamins: If you are wanting to save money there is no better way than getting your proper nutrition other than by eating a wide variety of fresh vegetables, especially green vegetables, fruit including small amounts of meat, fish and chicken. You can make smoothies, broths and squeeze your own juices for not only great value but also great nutrition. That fuels your body with great restorative, vital and regenerating nutrients. Protecting you from disease.
Example of 7 Day Menu Guide Planner
“Always to Remember that Fresh is BEST”
For both your Budget or your Health
Learn more about the Foods to Eat and Why with Easy to follow recipes in my
ADDITIONAL STEPS TO BUILD THE LIFE YOU WANT
No matter where you are on your journey to improving your health or becoming well. If you are wanting to Learn the Keys to Master a Life of Health, Happiness and Vitality, a Roadmap that you can follow, to give you the necessary guidance and support to Build a Strong Foundation, Guiding you through making the necessary changes in order to finally learn the elements of taking charge of your Health and in turn your Life., you have come to the “Right Place”.
Three Membership Options Available for You –
1: Community Membership – Stepping your foot into the ocean of learning about your body and your health.
2: Founding Membership – You want to know more? This takes you to the next level of learning more -Serious Insights into Unlocking the Keys necessary: To Master a Life of Optimal Health, Happiness & Vitality.
3: Transformational Membership – is the “All Access Pass” As soon as you activate your membership, the whole site and all benefits unlock immediately. It is the “Transformational Building Block” necessary for making positive changes to every aspect of your life. Giving you the guidance and support to achieve the life you want, your dreams and inspirations. It also is about making health a natural part of your daily living. Not to be a chore or a challenge but to become a “Natural” way of Living.